Home » Posts tagged 'who is'
Tag Archives: who is
In honour of a great man,I decided to share 20 facts about Mandela for those who had never heard of him until his death and for those who don’t know much about him and what he did for his people.
1. He was born in July 18 1918 in the
Eastern Cape of South Africa.
2. He was named Rolihlahla Dalibhunga by his parents and was given his English name, Nelson, by a teacher at his school.
3.When Mandela was 9 years old, his father died of lung disease, causing his life to change dramatically.
3. He is also fondly called Madiba.
4. Nelson Mandela was an activist against Apartheid, and he was the leader of the armed wing of the African National Congress.
>>> (South Africans can be racially classified into one of three categories: white, black , or colored (of mixed decent). Apartheid was territorial separation of whites from blacks and police repression on blacks and non-whites in South Africa (Apartheid is similar to Racism).
The penalties imposed on political protest,even non- violent protest, were severe. Nelson Mandela Mandela however risked his life for what he believed in.
5. Nelson Mandela was the first South African President who was elected in a completely democratic election.
6. He was elected at the age of 77
7. Nelson Mandela was a Lawyer and he set up South Africa’s first black law firm with Oliver Tambo.
8. Nelson Mandela spent twenty-seven (27) years in prison because of his Activism against Apartheid. While in jail contracted tuberculosis.
9.During his 27-year jail term, he stayed in cell number 46664.
10.The Apartheid government offered to release Mandela at least six times but he rejected the offer each time.
On one such occasion Mandela released a statement saying: ‘I cherish my own freedom dearly, but I care even more for your freedom … What freedom am I being offered while the organisation of the people [the ANC] remains banned?‘
11.Nelson Mandela won the Nobel prize in 1993.
12.The United Nations declared his birthday, July 18, Nelson Mandela International Day. This was the first time the UN dedicated a particular day to a person.
13. In 1994 he published his autobiography ‘long walk to freedom’ which he secretly wrote while in prison. The Autobiography just been made into an Hollywood Movie starring Eedris Elba and Naomie Harris.
14. Nelson Mandela’s favorite breakfast is plain porridge, with fresh fruit and fresh milk.
15. Nelson Mandela has honorary degrees from more than 50 universities all over the World.
16. Besides campaigning globally for peace, Mandela focus increased on
empowering disadvantaged children and fighting against HIV/Aids.
17. He was diagnosed of prostate cancer in 2001.
18. In June 2004 aged 85, Mandela officially retired from public life. His parting gift – a R1-billion endowment to South Africa, to be raised by the three
charitable organisations that bear his name: the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund and the Nelson Mandela Rhodes Foundation.
19. A nuclear particle(the ‘Mandela particle’), a prehistoric woodpecker (Australopicus nelsonmandelai) and an orchid (Paravanda Nelson Mandela) have all been named after him.
20. He was an honorary citizen of Canada, an honorary member of the British Labour Party, and an honorary member of Manchester United Football Club.
He was truly a great man. He was Africa’s pride and joy. R.I.P Nelson Mandela. We Love you.
Marchesa never ever disappoints me. I absolutely love all the gowns!
Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig sure know how to design a collection that has everybody on the edge of their seats! Designing Beautiful Golden, Silver, Black, White, and Wedgewood evening gowns. Using Beautiful sheer fabrics, and sparkles embroidered on the gowns, the collection is definitely to die for! And really bringing such a Beautiful Glamour and Romance to the collection. Now I can’t wait to see who will be the first to sport a Marchesa gown on the red carpet.
Pictured: Antoninia V., Yumi Lambert, Carolina Thaler, Nastya Kusakina, Manon Leloup, and Codie Young.
- Tadashi Shoji Spring 2014 (katiesrunwaysreport.wordpress.com)
- Marc Jacobs Uses his Signature Sleepwear Elements at Marc By Marc Jacobs Spring 2014 (katiesrunwaysreport.wordpress.com)
- Oscar de la Renta Spring 2014 (katiesrunwaysreport.wordpress.com)
- Prabal Gurung’s Stunning Spring 2014 Collection (katiesrunwaysreport.wordpress.com)
- J Mendel Spring 2014 (katiesrunwaysreport.wordpress.com)
- Cushnie et Ochs Spring 2014 (katiesrunwaysreport.wordpress.com)
- DKNY 25th Anniversary Spring 2014 show
View original post 15 more words
Hi guys,did you miss me ? 🙂 So I just want to share this Awesome story .
Meet this inspiring young lady called Lizzie Velasquez.
Lizzie Velasquez has been called “The World’s Ugliest Woman” by some people (especially online). Born with a medical condition so rare that just two other people in the world are thought to have it, Lizzie Velasquez has zero percent body fat and weighs just 60 pounds (27kg). She has no adipose tissue and cannot create muscle, store energy, or gain weight.
Lizzie Velasquez was born in San Antonio, Texas,four weeks premature and weighed just 2 pounds, 10 ounces(about 1.2kg).
Doctors warned her parents that their child would never be able to walk or talk, let alone live a normal life.
Her 45 year old mother Rita, told the Daily Mail in an interview:
“They told us they had no idea how she could have survived. We had to buy doll’s clothes from the toy store because baby clothes were too big.”
Her two younger siblings however, are not affected by the syndrome. Her internal organs, brain, and bones developed normally, though her body is tiny. Since she has no fatty tissue in which to store nutrients, she has to eat every 15 to 20 minutes to have enough energy to get through the day. One brown eye started clouding over when she was 4 years old, and now she’s blind in that eye and has only limited sight in the other. She is a survivor.
In the comments on YouTube,some viewers called her “it” and “monster” and encouraged her to kill herself.
However Lizzie Velasquez set four goals:
1)To become a motivational speaker
2)To publish a book, to graduate college,
3)To build a family and a career for herself.
Now 24 years old, she is a motivational speaker and has given more than 200 workshops on embracing uniqueness, dealing with bullies, and overcoming obstacles.
She has graduated from Texas State University with a major in communication studies and has two published books , “Lizzie Beautiful” and “Be Beautiful, Be You.
Once in an interview on CNN’s Headline News,she told Dr. Drew Pinsky.
” I think I’m getting to the point where…
instead of sitting by and watching people judge me, I’m starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself or give them my card and say, ‘Hi, I’m Lizzie. Maybe you should stop staring and start learning”.
I have to say she truly has a beautiful soul. Beauty isn’t just the skin,it goes much deeper than that. This story is also to show people with any medical issues that they can achieve their dreams,live a full life and have fun.
ARE YOU STILL COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW BAD YOUR LIFE IS???? BE INSPIRED.
N.B: To all those who sit behind their computers and say horrible things to others online just know that your all really ignorant and very stupid.
Do you think you love the Internet and technology ? If yes,how much? Would you actually name your child after the Internet? Well some parents did just that. Get ready to see some Internet inspired names.
1. In Egypt a girl was named Facebook because her family wanted to show “gratitude” for the success of the revolution which began in early 2011 that removed President Hosni Mubarak in Egypt from office. Facebook,
Twitter, and other social media tools were highly instrumental in the protests.
2. In Sweden a boy is named Google after the Google search engine. In 2005, a Google user and lover wrote Google to tell them of the birth of his first child, Oliver Google Kai. He wrote:
“When we first knew that my wife Carol is pregnant, I said “we will name our child Google”.
Google replied by wishing the child “long life and good health,” and that they hope Oliver Google Kai’s “schoolmates aren’t too
hard on him.” =D LAUGHING
3. In America some parents named their baby girl Hashtag. Hashtag as in (#) the sign you see on twitter.
Who would known someone out there liked Twitter that much? But honestly what were they thinking?
4. In Israel a girl was named “Like”.Yes you read right. Her name is Like Adler. When asked the reason for the name,her father Lior Adler said he simply wanted to give his daughter a unique name and that his wife liked
Did u have a good belly laugh when you read this? I sure did.