Home » Beauty and Healthy Living
Category Archives: Beauty and Healthy Living
Dear readers,early detection is the best defense against Breast Cancer.
Breast cancer ranks second among
cancer deaths in women. When breast
cancer is detected early, the five-year
survival rate is greater than 95
Anything that increases your chance
of getting cancer is a risk factor.
Anything that decreases your chance
of developing cancer is cancer
Some of the Risk Factors are:
• Being female is the greatest risk factor
• Women older than 40
• Women older than 35 whose mother
or sister has had breast or ovarian
cancer or father had prostate cancer
• Women who have never been
pregnant or who first become
pregnant after age 30
• Women who have had cancer in one
breast or atypical ductal hyperplasia
• Women who started menstruation
before age 12 or menopause at age 55
• Women who are obese with excessive
caloric and fat intake
If you want to self-assess
•A change in the feel or look of the
• A change in the size or shape of the
• A lump or thickening in or near the
breast or in the underarm area.
• A warm sensation in the breast
A change in the feel or look of the
• A retraction of the nipple
• A discharge from the nipple(i.e Blood or fluid other than breast milk secreted from the nipple)
• A rash on the nipple or areola
• Nipple tenderness, increased
sensitivity or pain
• A change in the feel or look of the skin
of the breast, areola or nipple
• Dimpling of the skin on the breast
(like the skin of an orange)
• The appearance of irritated, red, scaly or swollen skin on the breast, nipple or areola
• Breast pain. (though breast pain is usually associated with benign breast disease rather than breast cancer, it can be a symptom of either condition.
Monthly breast self-exams along with
mammography at recommended
intervals are essential for early
detection of breast cancer. Not sure
about how to do a breast exam? Refer
to the following examination guidelines.
– Step One … in the shower
Stand in the shower and with fingers
flat (use the pad of your fingers)
move your hand gently over every part
of each breast. Check for a lump, knot
or thickening. Use right hand for left
breast, left hand for right breast.
-Step Two … in front of a mirror
With your hands at your sides, visually
check for lumps and depressions.
Then, placing your palms on your hips,
press down firmly, flex your chest
muscles and check again. Don’t worry
if your breasts don’t match.
-Step Three … in front of a mirror
Now raise your arms overhead. Look
for changes in the contour of each
breast as well as swelling or dimpling
of the skin and changes in the nipple.
-Step Four … lying down
To examine your right breast, place a
pillow or folded towel under your right
shoulder and, with elbow bent, lay your
right hand on your forehead. Do the
same procedure for the other side.
-Step Five … lying down
With fingers flat, use your left hand
to press an imaginary clock face on
your right breast. Check for lumps or
depressions. A ridge of firm tissue in
the lower ridge is normal. Move in an
inch toward the nipple and make the
same circling motion again and again
until you reach the center. Repeat with
right hand, left breast.
-Step Six … lying down
Gently squeeze the nipple of each
breast. Check for any unusual
discharge, clear or bloody. Report any
lumps, thickening or discharge you
discover during this examination to
your doctor immediately.
Take part and show support in the
against cancer Today!
Adapted from the National Cancer
Institute, American Cancer Society,
Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention and Susan G. Komen for the
Seriously, Most of the time I wonder why girls freaked out over little things like small spots or pimples on their faces. But as I never really take offence in any spots/pimples showing on my face (not that I like it but I just don’t let it bother me) – then, I guess I might never know why but one thing I know for sure is that there are several ways to combat these spots and pimples which one of it is this home remedies am about to introduce to you below…
These are simple home remedies for pimples.
1. Dab a bit of lemon juice onto the spots/pimples and leave overnight. Caution! Don’t use during the day.
2. Freeze strong green tea bags into ice cube and rub all over your face.
3. Dab your face with fresh tomato juice.
4. Use egg (white) as face mask, wash off…
View original post 76 more words
More than 60 diners who ate at a restaurant commonly thought to be the best in the world have been struck ill.
The restaurant is known for relying on fresh and locally sourced products.It currently holds two Michelin stars, and has been named the best restaurant in the world three times.
The set menu at the restaurant costs 1,500 kroner (£175), with matching wines at 1,000 kroner (£115).
The embarrassing incident is reminiscent of a similar outbreak at the Fat Duck in Bray, where 240 diners fell ill in 2009.Customers at Danish restaurant Noma, in Copenhagen, were apparently infected with norovirus during their £290-a-head meals.
It is believed that the virus started when a restaurant employee came in to work while sick.The official investigation found that Noma did not disinfect the kitchen in good time to stop the bug spreading.
It also criticized the restaurant for not allowing workers to wash their hands with hot water, which is more effective at killing germs.Food officials have ordered Noma to tighten up its hygiene procedures in future.
Here are some Skin Beauty tips for you, special thanks to Art Becomes You.
1.Aloe VeraAloe vera is well-known for being a great skin care remedy for minor burns and skin irritation. This desert plant is not only medicinally beneficial, but it is an optimal cosmetic ingredient when used in skin care products or on its own. It is packed with active compounds that benefit the skin. It nourishes, moisturizes, and protects- everything you could want in a skin care product. Aloe is ideal for mature skin. Aloe improves levels of collagen when applied topically and ingested. Plenty of healthy, new collagen is essential for preventing sagging skin and wrinkles. Good for: Fighting bacteria, helps to rebuild new tissue, protect skin cells from damage, skin-softening, antiwrinkle
2. SheaShea butter is extracted from the nut of West Africa’s wild karite tree.Shea Butter doesn’t clog pores or block hair shaft. Revitalizes, softens and maintains skin moisture. Naturally rich in vitamins A, E & F which are some essential vitamins needed for good skin balance. Shea Butter penetrates deep into skin to help restore elasticity. Shea Butter benefits your skin by keeping it clear & smooth. Shea butter benefits include soothing some scalp and skin irritations.
3. Tea TreeTea tree oil reduces the production of sebum in the sebaceous glands thereby reduces the production of bacteria that cause the formation of blemishes on the skin. The tea tree oil is a great moisturizer and cleanser. It opens the clogged pores and removes the bacteria from the skin surface. The tea tree oil is a good cleanser and it removes the dead cells from the skin without causing any harm to it. The recent studies have proved that tea tree oil is greatest skin toner and removes the fine wrinkles as well as the blemishes very effectively. The tea tree oil is very effective in wound healing, because of its anti-septic properties. It is very mild to the skin and does not causes any harm which other anti-septic products do.
4. Olive oil
Olive oil is one of the most sought after natural oils for skin care. It has been used as an ancient remedy for skin care during the Egyptian civilization and it is still widely used today. It has been cultivated for 3000 years in the Mediterranean which is why their women are often described as having beautiful olive skin. Olive oil is good for the hair, body and when eaten with food. It helps with constipation and digestion. Olive oil is good for everything from stretch mark therapy, prevention of hair loss, building stronger finger nails, acne therapy and anti-aging therapy. The most expensive olive oil product is usually labeled as “extra virgin” or “cold pressed”. It helps to improve the appearance of your skin. Like other products, using olive oil in its natural and virgin form is most recommended. Even though the olive body butters, oils and hair products will do just fine.
5. CocoaCocoa butter is frequently recommended for eliminating stretch marks and other scars. Many people believe that cocoa butter has helped to reduce their scars. Even plastic surgeons have advised their patients to use cocoa butter on surgical scars. With regular use it gives the skin a softer texture and a natural glow of the skin due to the hydration of the skins surface. It is also very effective at evening out skin tone by eliminating dark circles and redness.Aside from stretch marks it is effective at reducing the appearance of wrinkles and frown lines this is because it improves tightness of the skin and the Vitamin E provides collagen. It is also useful in softening difficult areas such as the elbows and knees where dryness is common.Cocoa butter is popular at treating pregnancy skin to reduce the chances of developing stretch marks with daily use throughout pregnancy; cocoa butter makes the skin softer therefore making the stretching during pregnancy less strenuous on the skin, although this is not guaranteed.
6. CoconutCoconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair. It helps in healthy growth of hair providing them a shiny complexion. Regular massage of the head with coconut oil ensures that your scalp is free of dandruff, lice, and lice eggs, even if your scalp is dry. Coconut oil is excellent massage oil for the skin as well. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin. Coconut oil is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin. It also delays wrinkles, and sagging of skin which normally become prominent with age. Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections . Therefore coconut oil forms the basic ingredient of various body care products such as soaps, lotions, creams, etc., used for skin care. Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties.
7. CarrotCarrot Oil comes from Carrot seeds not from the plant. It lends your skin a bronze tint and prevents wrinkles. It’s a excellent protective care if you’re suffering from a dry skin. Carrot seed essential oil is one of the most reviving and also regenerating natural oils which could be utilized in skincare and also assists to improve the tone, since it helps to remove toxic build-up inside the pores and skin as well as eliminates excess water in the tissue. Carrot Oil is rich in beta-carotene as well as vitamins B, C, D and also E and is most helpful like a skin rejuvenator and extremely effective for dry and aging skin. It boosts the tone on the skin color, due to its healing impact on red blood cells, even though toning the skin and also escalating elasticity and firmness.
8. AvocadoAvocados are a natural way to nurture and replenish your bodywithout any chemicals. The oil from avocados has long been used in many beauty products such as cleansing creams, hair conditioners, facial masks, bath oils and massage lotions. This is due to the fact that avocados are rich with essential nutrients that soothe and moisturize your skin.Avocados are rich with vitamin A.The oil in the avocado is also a great moisturizer which helps to soften dry skin. To make your own body moisturizer simply mash 1 or 2 avocados and add honey or your favorite essential oil. Apply the avocado to your skin and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing with warm water.One avocado mashed and mixed together with 1 egg and your favorite essential oil is great for conditioning your hair. The healthy oils in the avocado help to moisturize and soften dry and brittle hair, and the vitamin E helps to restore a natural shine to your hair. To obtain these benefits simply massage the avocado and egg mixture into your hair and scalp and leave in for about 20 minutes. Then wash and condition with your regular shampoo and conditioner. Avocado oil can be used as a natural sunscreen to protect your skin as well as your hair from UVB and UVA rays. The oil is also great to help alleviate the pain of sunburns.
My country Nigeria won the Miss World competition back in 2001 with our representative Agbani Darego being the first ever black Miss world (and later has had a successful Modeling Career since then).With the Miss World 2012 coming soon (on August 18, 2012) at the Dongsheng Fitness Center Stadium, Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China,with over 120 contestants from all over the world,i think its time once again for an African girl to take the crown once again like we did 11years ago(at least no matter the negative things they say about Africa,they do have some of the most Beautiful and intelligent women you will ever meet in the world).
These are some the Contestants from Africa i hope will do well,please support:
Miss Cape Verde
Miss Botswana (She looks a little bit like Kerri Washington right?)
Miss Cote D’Ivoire
Chanel No. 5 was Coco Chanel’s first fragrance, created in 1921. For the first time in its 90 year history, the perfume is set to be endorsed by its first ever male celebrity in the form of Brad Pitt.Yes, it’s a scent for a woman, but if ever i would have chosen a male celebrity to advertise it ,it would be Brad Pitt.The Actor and director has been unveiled as the new face of Chanel No.5 and follows in the footsteps of not just Marilyn Monroe but Catherine Deneuve and Nicole Kidman, who was unveiled as the face in 2003.
Brad Pitt, 48, will shoot his first advertising campaign in London this week.The father-of-six and his fiancée Angelina Jolie recently purchased a new home in the city he is to shoot the adverts in.The Hollywood pair decided to buy the property – named Whornes Place – while renting it for £30,000 a month last summer.
Check out the different CHANEL No.5 faces and Ad’s over the years. Nicole Kidman’s was my favourite.
Marilyn Monroe – 1960
Ali MacGraw – 1966
Carole Bouquet – 1986
Vanessa Paradis – 1991
Andy Warhol – 1997
Nicole Kidman – 2004
Kate Moss – 2003
Lady Gaga stepped out in Hong Kong in a Monochrome Moschino dress and heels,opaque tights and a pair of white sunglasses.She was out and about yesterday after announcing that she was ending her relationship with Vampire Diaries star Taylor Kinney. I love hair (obviously a wig) and make-up . She looks Fabulous. We need to see her more with this kinds of normal looks.
N.B: Her Sunglasses look like Johnny Depp’s Willy Wonka in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
Have you ever wondered how to get the “cat eye” look you see in magazines and on run way models or even some of your friends and you always say to yourself i am not so good at makeup, i could never be able to make myself up like that , or its a complicated look, i will end up messing my face up. Well you are wrong, it actually a very easy look to get. Here is pictorial step by step method that you can do to get the look.