Her story features on a new Discovery Channel documentary called Bugs, Bites And Parasites.
A British lady Rochelle Harris, 27, had started experiencing severe headaches when she returned to UK following her visit to the South American country Peru with her boyfriend.
She is said to have developed sharp shooting pains down one side of her face and also began to hear strange scratching sounds in her head. She woke up the next morning to find her pillow soaked in fluid.
Doctors initially thought it could be a minor ear infection but she was referred to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) team.
The ENT specialist found a small hole in the ear canal and then discovered the maggots.
An emergency brain scan showed no damage had been done to her ear drum, blood vessels or facial nerve,but showed that the maggots had chewed a 12mm hole in her ear canal.
They tried to drown the Maggots by flooding the canal with olive oil but they survived and only two were removed.
Further examination discovered eight maggots which were sent to a laboratory for analysis.
It was later discovered that a New World screw worm fly had laid eggs inside her ear.
Rochelle said she remembered walking through a swarm of flies when in Peru and a fly had got inside her ear. But once she had shooed it away she thought nothing more of it.
The good news is she is not expected to suffer any long-term problems